• Business: boost position, appearance and search performance for business critical product and product category keywords
• SEO: consult to offer client a “best path” to address and fix priority onsite issues
• Technical SEO: handoff indexing, duplicate content resolution, and structural SEO spreadsheet tactics to their developer to make rapid sitewide improvements
October-November 2017: I’ve been working with digital agency Visiture to consult and perform technical SEO & backlink audits for their large e-commerce clients since early July. For their client BarkShop.com, this involved…
• Technical SEO: Handoff of technical SEO work for removing irrelevant, low quality and account/cart pages from search (indexation tactics – Robots.txt, no index). Plus duplicate content issue identification and walk-through of steps to resolve.
• Google Search Console recommendations (including for HTTPS migration)
• Site structure analysis: recommending on navigation, breadcrumbs and platform-specific structural SEO issues
LEARNING: With Shopify we DO have a breadcrumb SEO solution available to help overcome out-of-the-box URL structure constraints and lack of hierarchical connection between /collections/ and /products/. Contact me if you want more details on this.
• Performance/mobile usability analysis (image optimization process, site speed & mobile-friendly input)
In addition to my WordPress SEO “forte,” I enjoy doing this consulting work for larger e-commerce sites — and I really like the consultant-agency relationship with Visiture especially. It’s been a great opportunity to continue learning, improve my own technical proficiency with the ins & outs of platforms like Shopify, and help refine auditing with a better understanding of this client type.